Sunday, October 28, 2012

Blog Post #9

This week for our blog assignment, we were to read the blogs of a teacher, Joe McClung. In these blog posts, Mr. McClung reflects on lessons that he learned throughout his year as a teacher. I thought it would be most interesting and most informative to read and reflect on his original post(from his first year teaching) and his most recent.

clip art schoolhouse
In the first , he speaks of how he was scared and unsure what the year held for him. He give so many examples of things that he experienced throughout the year that either, reassured him that something he thought was correct or corrected a misconception he had. One of my very favorite 'lessons' is one that I hope I can remember has a teacher:
"While I always plan to have that elusive perfect lesson, I don't let it get to me and I do not kill myself over my mistakes any more. When things go wrong, simply work with it and try to better the situation.....and make sure you do it with a smile on your face"
Flexibility is a hard thing to have, especially when you feel like as the teacher you should always be in charge, and I, like Mr. McClung, will have to work to maintain it.

I was very interested after reading his first post, to see if he maintained his open mindedness onto his 4th year. I also wondered if any of his "lessons" were still things he was working on, or maybe even things he no longer believed. In reading his most recent post, I saw that he himself admits that after 4 years he didnt have as much left to learn. I loved seeing how quickly he settled in and became confortable as a teacher, and yet still maintained the ability to look outside of himself and see where he improved or needed to improve. My favorite part was the end statement:
"I really feel like I am at a cross roads in my life where I could be satisfied with what I have already accomplished as a teacher/coach and begin to coast. Or, I could take this opportunity to snap out of my funk and challenge myself to become a better teacher…I choose the latter"

man at crossroads
I hope that when I reach this crossroads as an educator that I too, choose the latter.

4 comments:

  1. This is well written. However, you still do not follow my instructions to summarize the posts. Instead you choose one point from each and then offer your reactions and comments. The reason I require a summary is to make sure the student reads the assignment in its entirety. The responses you give do not assure me of that. You will find, when you begin teaching, that students are very clever in figuring out how to do less than required and making it look like they have done it all. You MUST follow my instructions and summarize ALL of the content in the assignment. Then offer your reactions and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post! I agree with Dr. Strange that summarizing everything is necessary to see that you read the assignment. Maybe on your next post you could summarize everything, and then show your reaction and give your opinion at the end. I think you did a good job though!

    I found a few minor proofreading errors

    1. One of my very favorite 'lessons' is one that I hope I can remember has a teacher: ( as instead of has ).

    2. In reading his most recent post, I saw that he himself admits that after 4 years he didnt have as much left to learn. (didn't)

    By the way I liked the image you chose!

    Kayla Walker

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This week for our blog assignment, we were to read the blogs of a teacher, Joe McClung. In these blog posts, Mr. McClung reflects on lessons that he learned throughout his year as a teacher. I thought it would be most interesting and most informative to read and reflect on his original post(from his first year teaching) and his most recent. "

    Dr. Strange is this not a summary of what his blogs are about? It is rather short but then I stated the background of the individual blogs and multiple facts from each..I am not trying to argue I truly would like the opportunity to grow, and I really thought I had done this one right. Thanks for the compliment by the way!

    Oh, and Kayla I appreciate the feedback! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you write, and I do think that you summarized this. But I do like how you used the picture and the quote was amazing. I wish you the best of luck with your future as a teacher. I hope you do make the impact on your students life that you want to!

    ReplyDelete