Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blog Post #5

rainbow apple logo
iSchool


I do not typically believe in a completely technological classroom, I feel that is causes distance between teacher and student and that the main goal of teaching in an Elementary school classroom is to teach life lessons(morals, manners, social skills etc etc.). However, this young man seemed to mesh the benefits of technology, with none of the pitfalls of losing human interactions. I found him to be intellectual and spot on with many of his examples. I loved how he showed how many of the apps we take for granted(or ignore) right now(notes, calender, and all the many calculators.) He really showed how it could make a real difference both financially and environmentally.

Virtual Choir

While, I'm not sure how this applies to education other than showing the the internet can effectively connect people, I did find this video to very entertaining. It was very impressive the way they worked together so well never having met.

Flip this house...classroom?

I found this video on a flipped classroom to both informative and interesting(as well as this one, but I preferred the first.)
I did find this would be a more effective tool in elementary classes. I love the idea of having the videos as supplemental learning, but I feel that only devoting 10% of class time to the teacher "teaching" is not a very plausible way to adequately teach. The internet is great and having the information available for remedial students to review before and after lessons is an excellent idea. I do not feel it should replace the actual teaching though.

6 comments:

  1. "...the main goal of teaching in an Elementary school classroom is to teach life lessons(morals, manners, social skills etc etc.)." Isn't that the family's responsibility?

    Where is Part 3?

    You do not explain what a flipped classroom is.

    You provide only the slightest summary of Travis Allen's arguments.

    I do not think you understand the requirements of writing a Blog Post following the instructions provided. Or maybe you do not understand the objectives of this EDM310 Class.

    This blog post is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted my first comment because it contained two typos that could have led to a misinterpretation of what I intended to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda,

    I liked how you told what you liked about the Ischool even though you do not fully agree with it. I think you have a creative title for the flipped classroom, very cute. But you have some typos that you need to correct like do not capitalize elementary. It is not a proper noun. I would explain the videos before you told how you felt so others who haven't watched them would understand. I would also address the "young man" by his name Travis Allen and also the virtual choir by their name. I think that just shows respect. I think you're missing a few paragraphs.

    Have a good week!
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelsey I like that you provided both positive and negative opinions about the blog. I feel that is a very respectful quality and also shows that you are CORRECTLY doing a criticism :)

    I appreciate the feedback and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Strange, thank you for the feedback. I will work on it. However I must say, I do not understand why you have such issue with the fact that my opinion does not line up with yours in the area of technology in the classroom. I do the assignments(and I will work on the things you pointed out, I was mistaken and thought that by supplying the links we did not have to provide a summary.) I just do not say that "Technology is the greatest thing to ever happen in a classroom" and that is because I simply do not feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also do not agree with completely relying on technology in a classroom. I think teachers need to always implement the most basic of things. The students should learn how to write and draw and even read from something other than an ipad or a computer. I noticed you missed section 3, always double check and make sure you get things done completely before they are turned in.

    ReplyDelete